Pages

Thursday 19 December 2019

Where I come from

Hello bloggers,
Its me Alan and today I am going to tell you where I come from and my cultural background. In India instead of dollars the currency is  rupees and everything is cheap compared to New zealand and other countries. In Thiruvananthapuram 50 rupees is 1 dollar in new zealand. Thiruvananthapuram is a nice tourist spot. There are lots of beautiful places in Thiruvananthapuram.
In Thiruvananthapuram the temperature typically varies from 74°F to 91°F and is rarely below 71°F or above 94°F. There are lot of beaches in Thiruvananthapuram because it is in south India and because it is near the sea. India is the second most populated country in the Earth.In India languages, religion, music dance, customs etc vary from place to place as there are 29 states. Me and my family came from Kerala state, in southern part of India. 

Kerala also know as God's own country and is rich in coconut trees
and also a land of spices. Our foods are mostly spicy. Our staple food is rice and we have it with curries.  Another common food you can find throughout India is chappathi. 

Most of our families live in ancestral homes along with grandparents. Families are always bonded together. We don't find much Old age homes in India as the grand parents are taken care of by their sons. We respect each other very much. We are not allowed to call any of our older ones by their names, but instead we have to address them by respectful names like aunty, uncle, chechi, chetta, appacha, ammachi etc.

There are lot of festivals in India. Here is a list of festivals in India :
MonthFestivalDate (2020)Day
JanuaryMakar Sakranti15th JanuaryWednesday
JanuaryPongalBegins on 15th JanuaryWednesday
JanuaryBasant Panchami29th JanuaryWednesday
 FebruaryMaha Shivratri21st FebruaryFriday
MarchHoli10th MarchTuesday
AprilBaisakhi13th AprilMonday
AprilBihuBegins on 14th AprilTuesday
MayEid Ul Fitr23rd MaySaturday
JuneHemis30th JuneTuesday
AugustRakshabandhan3rd AugustMonday
AugustJanmashtmi12th AugustWednesday
AugustOnamBegins on 22nd AugustSaturday
AugustGanesh Chaturthi22nd AugustSaturday
OctoberNavratriFrom 17th to 25th OctoberMonday
OctoberDurga Puja26th OctoberMonday
OctoberDussehra26th OctoberMonday
NovemberDiwali27th NovemberSaturday
NovemberGurupurab30th NovemberMonday
DecemberChristmas25th DecemberFriday
So that's it I hope you liked my blog post and please write me a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Alan, its me Parwin! I see you are also doing the SLJ, the challenge is on!

    I really liked your long blog post as it included a lot of information about your culture but also about India and it was great that you included extra information too. I know know a lot about India!

    While I was reading the timetable thing, when it said Eid ul fitr, it caught my eye because in my religion, we also have that and we also have Eid Qurban as well! We also don't call elderly's by their name like they call some people Miss or Mister, we call them Khalay or Kaky. Khaly is said to a lady and Kaky is for a Man.

    I think that you did an awesome job, but maybe if you presented on a website or something, it would make it even better! But you still did an awesome job!

    Which festival do you enjoy the most and why?

    Awesome work!



    Looking forward to your next posts,
    Parwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Parwin,
      Thanks for commenting in my blog post. Next time I will follow your advice and I will present it as a website as you said. Thanks for the advice parwin.
      kind regards
      Alan

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Alan,

    Well done on completing another Summer Learning Journey activity. Keep up the good work and keep those points rolling in.

    Wow, you have made Thiruvananthapuram sound wonderful and you have used great descriptive words to help me imagine just what it is like. How long have you lived in New Zealand? Do you like it here in New Zealand?

    I really like the table you have included with all of the festivals on it, well done.

    Until next time, happy blogging :)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Emma,
      Thanks for commenting in my blog post. I have lived here for 4 to 5 months. I like it here in new zealand.
      Kind regards
      Alan

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.