Pages

Monday 23 December 2019

Yusra Mardini's story

Hello bloggers,
Its me Alan and this is one of the summer learning journey's activity. The activity is this :

For this activity, listen to the podcast of Yusra Mardini, or read her story on her personal website.
On your blog, retell the story of this amazing young woman from Syria.

So I am going to complete it.  Now I am going to tell you the story and I have also made some changes in it :
Yusra and her elder sister ran away in the Syrian war and set off on a dangerous journey to find safety in Europe. In summer 2015, they travelled through Lebanon to Turkey before departing for Greece in an overcrowded motorboat. Fifteen minutes into the sea crossing, the boat’s engine failed. As a professional swimmer, Yusra was determined not to let any of her fellow passengers drown. Yusra, her sister and two others jumped into the waves and swam for three and a half hours in open water to stop their motor boat from turning over, saving the lives of 20 people. A year later, Yusra’s courage, determination and strong swimming skills were recognized by the International Olympic Committee and became a member of the first ever Refugee Olympic Team. Yusra competed at the Olympic Games in Rio in 2016, helping to represent 65 million replaced people worldwide. Since then, Yusra has addressed the United Nations General Assembly and met world leaders such as US President, Barack Obama and Pope Francis. She has been presented with a number of prestigious awards and has been recognized for her work by Time and People magazines. Yusra now lives in Berlin, Germany and is concentrating on her professional swimming career. She aims to compete at the next Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2020. Yusra is a Goodwill Ambassador for UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, and works to alter global perceptions of refugees. Her message of hope, determination and courage reminds us that those who flee their countries are capable of achieving great things.
So that's it I hope you liked my blog post and please write me a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Hello ALan, its me Parwin! I see you are also doing the SLJ, the challenge is on!

    I really like how you have explained what you are doing and what it is for. You also wrote a very long story as well!

    This reminds me of when I did this and I wrote the story as if I was Yusra so basically in first person I explained how she had to push the boat with her sister which had 20 people in it.

    I think that to improve, maybe you could include something that you found challenging and also, I'm pretty sure you are meant to write your own story from scratch. Not like copy and paste it, then change some things!

    Was there anything which you found a bit challenging?

    Awesome work!



    Looking forward to your next posts,
    Parwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello parvin,
      Thanks for commenting in my blog post.Next I will follow your advice and could include something that I found challenging.
      Kind regards
      Alan

      Delete
  2. Hello Alan.
    Its me Albin here.
    It was really amazing reading your story.
    It was really amazing.
    That story is really long!
    Anyway you could add some more images, because without that it looks plain. To make the blog better, you could try changing your font.
    Kind regards
    Albin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Albin,
      Its me Alan.
      Thank you for commenting in my blog post.Next I will follow your advice and could add some more images and I could try changing my font.
      Kind regards
      Alan

      Delete
  3. Bula Alan,

    Great work on completing another Summer Learning Journey activity - keep up the good work. Don’t forget to comment back to blog commenters as well as on others SLJ blog posts to gain extra points.

    Yusra Mardini is a very brave woman and had so much determination to do what she did to ensure that her, her family and the others on the boat got to safety. Three and half hours of swimming is a long time, how long do you think you could swim for?

    Remember to keep originality in mind when you are posting your activities to ensure they are in your own words and to make sure you gain full points.

    Until next time, happy blogging :)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.